We live in a world where we seek to optimise everything particularly our lives online. Now, when you create an app, it is vital to indulge in a little optimisation in order to get as many people as possible to see your app and click that download button.
So, adopt some basic ASO (or App Store Optimization) strategies to help boost your app store ranking and visitor conversion rates. Let’s talk about what ASO is in a little more detail and how you, as a publisher, can use it to improve our ranking.
What is App Store Optimization?
Similar to Search Engine Optimisation (more commonly known as SEO), App Store Optimization aims to improve an app’s visibility by increasing its app ranking in the search results and in the top charts. Increasing your app ranking is vital as it has the potential to increase the number of downloads.
So, now that you know what it is, how can you use it? Well, there are two strategies that are often adopted in ASO circles:
- Keyword Optimisation
- Conversion Rate Optimisation
How to Use Keyword Optimisation
This strategy involves finding the right keywords to drive traffic to your app page as it monitors their impact on your traffic and benchmarks your ranking against competitors. We can use keywords in the keyword field alongside the app name and description to help the search engine rank your app. Thankfully, there are many tools, both free and paid, that can give you a little bit of help with keyword research and monitoring, from AppTweak to SensorTower.
To get the ball rolling with selecting your keywords, just compile a list of the most relevant and competitive keywords with a tool like Google Keyword Planner or SensorTower. To aid you in this mission, you should check the suggested search results in the app stores and have a look at what users are actually searching for when looking for your brand or category.
How to Use Conversion Rate Optimization
So, your keywords have helped you to start your journey towards the top of the ranks and your app is heading up the search results, but how can we further optimise our ranking and get even more downloads? Conversion rate optimization is all about ensuring that your listing makes people want to download your app! There are many features of your app page that will influence conversion and incite a desire to download:
- App Description: the couple of lines that pitch your app to those torn between pressing the download button and shying away from it should be as catchy and enticing as possible.
- App Icon: this is the first visual that people will see before downloading, so ensure that it is well-designed and reflects your brand.
- Screenshots: these should convey realistic usage of your app while highlighting the most important features of exclusive content in your digital edition.
- App Previews: these are videos that show your users just what your app can do. They should focus on the benefits that are available!
- Reviews and Ratings: having a highly-rated app will only help you to make your way up the ranking list and stand out from your competitors, but the opinions expressed in the reviews and ratings will play an important role in transforming your app store visitors.
So, let’s take a little look at some of the top tricks that will help you to get more quality ratings and reviews.
Use push notifications
Once you have identified your loyal users, it’s time to send them push notifications asking them to review your app. These users will no doubt be extremely happy with what you are doing and will gladly give you an excellent review that will impress and dazzle those looking to sign up for your app.
Counteract negative feedback
Before you even receive negative feedback, you should create an in-app form or support email for users to report bugs or issues. This lets them know that you take their problems seriously and that you have been productive to allow them to alert you to their issues.
Respond to any feedback
After you have fixed bugs and republished your app, be sure that you reply to your users who gave a bad review and ask them to reconsider their rating. This will show that you value their opinion and will leave them in no doubt that you’re dedicated to offering excellent service.
Well, there it is! Go and optimise.